Cheshire celebrate their 21st birthday in style
On Saturday 5 October staff, people we support and their families/carers in Cheshire got together to celebrate Alternative Futures Group’s (AFG) 21st birthday with an Absolutely Fabulous party, which was held at The New Life Church in Congleton.
To celebrate the landmark birthday guests enjoyed a Hog Roast, a selection of music by the Alternative Futures Group Karoke Band, a range of competitions/games, plus a celebratory cake cutting and toast by Neil Campbell, Alternative Futures Group’s Chief Executive.
A memory wall enabled guests to browse photographs, share stories and celebrate the lives and memories of the people we support.
An art competition looked towards the future of Alternative Futures Group and guests were invited to vote for their favourite piece.
The prize winners were:
- 1st Prize – Clifford, London Road
- 2nd Prize – Mark, Orchard Lodge
- 3rd Prize – Michelle Crabb, Arclid and Elizabeth Challinor, Kirkstone
There were a number of games and competitions held on the day, which kept the people we support and their family members entertained, including:
- Beat the Goalie: guests got to put their football skills to the test as Lee Moss, Alternative Futures Group’s Cheshire Area Manager took to the posts. After a few tense penalties, Richard from Arclid won!
- Limbo: Kathy Johnson, Alternative Futures Group’s Tameside Area Manager demonstrated her ability to deliver flexible support when she scooped first prize for her limbo dancing.
- Name the Teddy competition: Bertie the teddy found a new home when Annette, one of Alternative Futures Group’s Cheshire Support Workers successfully guessed his name.
- The stocks: Kristie Jacobs and Lee Moss, Alternative Futures Group’s Cheshire Area Managers got a soaking when they volunteered to take stock.
Kirsty Ainsworth, Alternative Futures Group’s Cheshire Team Leader who helped to organise the event said: “We’ve come a long way and this party was a chance to celebrate 21 years of changing lives for the people we support and their families/carers in Cheshire.”
Joanne Chilton, Alternative Futures Group’s Community Services Director said: “It was a fantastic day with lots of celebrations and good fun. The people we support and their support staff had a fantastic time and it was absolute pleasure to be a part of the celebrations to mark our 21st birthday in Cheshire.
She added: “A lot of work went into the planning of this event and it was an absolute credit to everybody involved – thank you.”
Richard, supported at the Arclid in Cheshire said: “I really enjoyed the party, I won a trophy in the penalty shoot-out”
Special thanks to the following organisations who kindly donated prizes to the competitions held on the day.
- Manchester United Football Club
- Everton Football Club
- The Beatles Story
- Greene King
- Best Sports – Runcorn